Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it?
Ted Striker: Surely you can’t be serious.
Rumack: I am serious… and don’t call me Shirley.
According to a subscription service called “Lovefilm” powered by Amazon, “Airplane!” was named the funniest film ever.
“Lovefilm” compiled a top 10 list of favorite comedies from its members which included, American Pie, Superbad, Borat, and Anchorman to name a few. To make things interesting, the site calculated the precise number of laughs per minute for each comedy that made the list.
“Airplane!” reigned supreme at 3 laughs a minute, with “The Hangover” coming in second at 2.4 laughs a minute.
The list played out like this:
1. Airplane! – 3 Laughs A Minute
2. The Hangover – 2.4 Laughs A Minute
3. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! – 2.3 Laughs A Minute
4. Superbad – 1.9 Laughs A Minute
5. Borat – 1.7 Laughs A Minute
6. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy – 1.6 Laughs A Minute
7. American Pie – 1.5 Laughs A Minute
8. Bridesmaids – 1.4 Laughs A Minute
9. Shaun of the Dead – 1.3 Laughs A Minute
10. Life of Brian – 1.2 Laughs A Minute
‘After many heated debates about whether The Hangover really is the funniest movie ever, we asked our members to vote for the 10 movies that make them laugh the most, and then conducted our own research into how many times those included in this list made us giggle, said Helen Cowley, editor of “Lovefilm.”
‘Interestingly, while Lovefilm members voted ‘Life of Brian’ as the funniest film, our research shows that for laughs a minute the hilarious aircraft-based satire of ‘Airplane!’ beats the Monty Python epic hands-down.’
The list is opinionated, and one can make the argument for movies such as Dumb and Dumber, and The Jerk, but “Airplane!” always finds its way to the top, and it’s justifiable.
“Airplane!” cost just $3.5 million and only took 34 days to make. A multitude of pointless comedies are released each year, and while so many fall short, the 1980 classic always lives on.